ACM-W Europe August 2022 Newsletter
In this issue:
- womENcourage – Celebration of Women in Computing
- Welcome to the new members in the ACM-W Europe Committee
- ACM-W Europe Social Media Highlights
- Announcements and News:
womENcourage – Celebration of Women in Computing
Join us in Larnaka, Cyprus on 21-23 September 2022
We hope that you are as excited as we are in the countdown to the event. womENcourageTM 2022 is around the corner!
Message from the ACM-W Europe Chair:
First and foremost, we hope all of you and your beloved ones are healthy and strong. On behalf of all of the ACM-W Europe, I would like to thank you for continuing to be with us and supporting gender diversity in computer science. We have been going through hard days due to the Covid-19 since 2020 and unfortunately, this has caused stress for many of us. There was a lot that we have been worrying about. Face-to-face meetings and social activities were one of those. As you know, we had passed two womenCourage events virtually and finally, we’ll have one Hybrid which will give us a physical meeting this year. If everything goes well, ACM Celebration of Women in Computing womENcourage event will be held on September 20-23, 2022 at Larnaca, Cyprus. The theme of this year is “Drawing New Lines in Science”, recognizing both Arts and STEM. Our great Organizing Committee and Steering Committee have been working a lot to plan the best:
- Lightning Talks: The presentations of students and professionals about their Computing or STEAM-related project (online).
- Poster Presentations: A formal, research-based presentation of the works related to STEAM.
- Hackathon: The most exciting part of the event is where teams race to create a functional prototype, to offer a technological solution to a real-life problem.
- Keynote talks: Two great Keynote Speakers, Prof. Sophia Ananiadou and Dr. Madeline Balaam, will be with us at the event.
- Panel Discussion: Perspectives of Success in Technology will be discussed with the contribution of Prof. Janet C. Read, Dr. Maria Terzi, Marianna Promopi-Demetriades, Christiana Varda, and Dr. Eleni Pashia.
- Workshops: Four different workshops are waiting for you.
- Career Fair: A great chance to have contact with our conference partners, who are all supporters of women in tech.
We hope to see you soon at the event.
Dr. Rukiye Altin
ACM-W Europe Chair
For more information visit the womENcourage site.
Early Registration with reduced prices is extended until September 5th!
|Event Dates:||21-23 September 2022|
|Early Registration Extended:||5 September 2022|
|Hackathon Registration:||25 July – 21 September 2022|
Blog – Telling Our Stories: Ellen McWey
Each year we meet incredible women at womENcourage™ celebrations. We ask womENcourage participants to tell their stories in blog posts. We continue 2022 with Ellen McWey, who was studying Mathematics and Economics in the University of Limerick, Ireland when she participated in the event.
“I was delighted to be able to attend the ACM womENcourage conference 2021 and the variety of different sessions they hosted were both interesting and educational. Personally, I really enjoyed Kristina Hӧӧk’s session “Soma design: Intertwining aesthetics, movement and emotion in design work.”
Read more from Ellen on our blog.
Blog – Covid-19 Impact in Computer Science: Sarah Carey
Sarah Carey was another participant at the previous womENcourage™ celebration. She was studying Digital Media Design at the University of Limerick, Ireland when she participated in the event.
She wrote an article about the Covid-19 impact in Computer Science from her perspective.
“The Covid-19 pandemic has had a negative impact on the world in many ways, but for the world of Computer Science this is not the case. Computer science is one of the few sectors that has survived and thrived during the pandemic.”
Read more from Sarah on our blog.
Call for Expressions of Interest for 2024
Do you want to join us by hosting the womENcourage™ 2024 event? The call for hosting is open.
Here is the timeline:
EoI submission deadline: 10 November 2022 23:59 AoE
Notification of a successful EoI: by 28 November 2022
Full Proposal deadline: 26 January 2023 23:59 AoE
Notification of a successful Proposal: by 1 March 2023
More details here.
Welcome to the new members in the ACM-W Europe Committee
Following the election of Rukiye Altin as the new ACM-W Europe Chair, join us in welcoming all the new members and recognising the existing ones:
- Dorota Filipczuk – Vice Chair
- Alexandra Dediu – Communication and Outreach Chair
- Araz Yusubov – Projects coordinator
- Virginia Grande – Advisory Committee Celebrations Chair
- Maria-Ribera Sancho – Chapters Chair
ACM-W Europe Social Media Highlights
Not on social media? Not a problem. In July 2022, our most popular post on Facebook were:
- The announcement of Rukiye Altin as the new ACM-W Europe Chair.
- The womENcourageTM Lightning Talks post announcing that you can present your project by joining the event online.
- The ACM-W Celebrating Technology Leaders Webinar Series post.
On Twitter, the top tweet was about Rukiye Altin being elected as the new ACM-W Europe Chair, and the top media tweet about the ACM-W Celebrating Technology Leaders Webinar Series. We are so happy to see that you were as excited as us about these news!
Announcements and News
Open PhD and Post-doc Positions
The Walter Benjamin Programme enables researchers in the postdoctoral training phase to independently conduct their own research project at a location of their choice. The project can be carried out at a research institution in Germany or abroad, with the host institution providing support for the project.
The Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG, German Research Foundation) is now expanding its existing funding measures for academics who have fled their home country by opening up the Walter Benjamin Programme with the aim of enabling this target group to become integrated into the German research system. In the current situation, this practical support measure for refugee researchers from all regions of the world is also an expression of solidarity with researchers from Ukraine as well as persecuted researchers from Russia.
Deadlines: Proposals may be submitted at any time.
ACM Awards and Advanced Grades of Membership Deadlines
Each year ACM recognizes outstanding achievements of its members through awards that cover a spectrum of professional and technological areas and different stages of professional development.
To learn more about awards, we recommend the article by the ACM President Cherri M. Pancake, who dispels some common myths about ACM Awards and Honors in the Communications of the ACM, August 2019. One of the myths is that the ACM Awards never honour people working outside North America. Prof. Pancake writes that even though nothing would make ACM committees happier than to recognise the achievements of people from around the globe, there are very few nominations. Source: Dispelling Common Myths About ACM Awards and Honors.
|Area-Specific, typically Mid to Late Career|
For SIG-specific Awards, please visit here.
For ACM Advanced Grades of Membership, please visit here.
Thank you for joining us in recognizing the accomplishments of ACM Women in Europe and ensuring they are nominated for ACM Awards they deserve.