ACM-W Europe May 2021 Newsletter
In this issue:
- Join us at womENcourageTM 2021 and help us Bridge Communities to Foster Innovation
- Wish to organize the 2023 womENcourage? – Call for Proposals Open
- ACM-W Europe Social Media Highlights
- Announcements and News:
Join us at womENcourageTM 2021 and help us Bridge Communities to Foster Innovation
womENcourage 2021 is going to be virtual (coordinated from Prague, Czech Republic), 22-24 September, 2021. The slogan of the event this year is “Bridging Communities to Foster Innovation”. In an increasingly technology-driven world and a rapidly changing economic environment, the field of computing cannot reach its full innovation and creativity potential if formed of homogeneous expertise, represented unevenly only by a fraction of the population. To foster innovation, we shall stop compartmentalizing scientific progress by disciplines and encourage innovation across boundaries.
The tentative program over 3 days is as follows:
- Day 1 starts with the tech and growth workshops and tutorials on your choice. Then you will hear from the keynote speakers and specialists in their tech talks and panel discussions followed by organized networking and “ask me anything” session featuring some of our most inspiring speakers in an open interaction with you, without a prescribed agenda.
- Day 2 is open to meetups allowing participants to build spontaneous bridges in between communities as well as other optional workshops and tutorials. The program will continue with keynote talks, partners’ presentations and career fair, in parallel with poster lighting talks. The end of the day will belong to the panel discussion and related ask me anything session.
- Day 3 is about collaboration, engagement, and connection. A hackathon, career fair, roundtable discussions, industry panel with our partners, and academic panel discussion are taking place.
Get A Scholarship
Thanks to the generous womENcourageTM supporters, local and international alike, you have a chance to receive a participation scholarship to join the event. Together with our supporters we are proud to announce scholarships to a number of students, who actively participate in the conference (with poster, workshop, tutorial, hackathon). A small number of scholarships will be offered to students who do not contribute to the program actively, but have shown exceptional interest in the relevant fields, and are preferably in the first year(s) of their studies
|Registration open||June 1, 2021|
|Scholarship applications due||June 10, 2021|
|Hackathon interest to participate due||August 10, 2021|
To learn more, follow this link to the Call to Take Part.
Wish to organize the 2023 womENcourage? – Call for Proposals Open
The call for hosting womENcourage 2022 is now closed. The venue will be announced on 24 September 2021 during the closing session of womENcourage 2021. We are now looking for proposals to host womENcourage 2023.
The proposal process includes two phases (all the templates you will need are provided below):
- Expressions of Interest (EoI) to be submitted no later than 17 June 2021 23:59 AoE, but earlier submissions are welcome and indeed highly recommended. Submitting an EoI does not constitute a firm commitment to hosting. It is a first step towards a conversation with ACM-W Europe which will help you navigate the process of applying to be a host venue, by thinking early about what you need to have in place to fulfill the requirements to host the event. Notification of successful EoI proposal will be communicated via email by 2 July 2021.
- Full Hosting Proposals to be submitted by 12 August 2021 23:59 AoE. Notification of the final decision on 1 October 2021.
Here are the links to the call documents:
|Expression of Interest Due||17 June 2021 23:59 AoE|
|Notification of a successful Expression of Interest proposal||by 2 July 2021|
|Full Proposal deadline||12 August 2021 23:59 AoE|
|Notification of a successful Full Proposal||by 1 October 2021|
ACM-W Europe Social Media Highlights
Not on social media? Not a problem. In April 2021, our most popular posts on Facebook were:
- The wonderful blog from Laura Castro from the Spanish celebrations – How to organize an ACM-Women Europe Celebration in 10 Steps. She shared with us the top lessons she learnt for creating a new celebration. It starts with: A few friends that want to make a difference can come together and create a celebration! A must read!
- The announcement about the womENcourage poster deadline approaching. We hope you’ve got your posters in on time!
- ACM-W Europe EVN aims to promote ACM-W Europe and its underlying ethos through blogs and vlog posts and webinars from its members as well as from invited guests, contents of which will fall within regularly updated themes. Above all, the primary aim of the EVN is to support the uptake and full engagement of women in all aspects of the computing field through its members. Ruth and Lipika ran a Facebook live event to answer your questions on 28th of April, 11 AM CEST. You can watch the EVN live event video here.
On Twitter, both the top tweet and top media tweet were again the submission deadline for the womENcourage.
Announcements and News
Upcoming ACM Student Research Competitions: Submission Deadlines
ACM Student Research Competitions (SRCs), sponsored by Microsoft Research, offer a unique forum for undergraduate and graduate students to present their original research at well-known ACM sponsored and co-sponsored conferences before a panel of judges and attendees. The most recent SRC winners presented at POPL 2021. The following conferences are accepting submissions:
Google’s Inside Look 2021 Program
Google’s Inside Look 2021 is now open for applications! Apply for the unique opportunity to gain an Inside Look into software engineering at Google and get prepared for a career in the tech industry!
The Inside Look Program brings together a selected cohort of like minded group of students from Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, to connect over their passion for technology and desire to learn more about life in a tech role at Google.
What you’ll gain:
- Insights into Google products through tech talks
- A detailed understanding of the technical interview process and a chance to practice
- Opportunities to ask questions and learn about life and culture at Google
- 1:1 mentoring to continue building your skills after the event
- CV review with a Google recruiter
- Expand your network with students and Googlers from across the EMEA region
Applicants must be eligible for Google internships (graduating later than October 2022), and studying computer science or a related technical subject.
Applications close on 1st June.
International Advanced Research Workshop On High Performance Computing
Edition in person, Cetraro (Italy), July 26 – 30, 2021
Over fifty invited papers will be presented at the workshop with the aim to present and debate advanced topics, open questions, current and future developments, and challenging applications related to advanced high-performance distributed computing and data systems, encompassing implementations ranging from traditional clusters to warehouse-scale data centers, and with architectures including hybrid, multicore, distributed, cloud models, and systems targeted for AI applications. This workshop will provide a forum for exploration of both challenges and synergies that might arise from exchange of ideas across the many aspects of HPC and its applications.
Website for more details.
ACM Awards and Advanced Grades of Membership Deadlines
Each year ACM recognizes outstanding achievements of its members through awards that cover a spectrum of professional and technological areas and different stages of professional development.
To learn more about awards, we recommend the article by the ACM President Cherri M. Pancake, dispelling some common myths about ACM Awards and Honors in the Communications of the ACM, August 2019. One of the myths is that the ACM Awards never honor people working outside North America. Prof. Pancake writes that even though nothing would make ACM committees happier than to recognize the achievements of people from around the globe, there are very few nominations. Source: Dispelling Common Myths About ACM Awards and Honors.
Call for ACM Senior Member Nominations
The Senior Member advanced grade of membership recognizes ACM members with at least 5 years of Professional ACM membership in the last 10 years. Nominations are accepted on a quarterly basis. The deadline for nominations is June 3.
|Area-Specific, typically Mid to Late Career|
For SIG-specific Awards, please visit here.
For ACM Advanced Grades of Membership, please visit here.
Thank you for joining us in recognizing the accomplishments of ACM Women in Europe and ensuring they are nominated for ACM Awards they deserve.